Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Parkinson's symptoms - 70 and counting Part 2

Part 2 of my look into the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease.  If you know of any I missed please forward information and I will look into adding it.  This list contains items I've found to be caused by Parkinson's, or at least according to the attached link for each one.  By no means is it meant to be exhaustive or a diagnosis.  
I was really amazed by the number of vision problems that Parkinson's can cause.  I had no idea of the association but will definitely bring the list with me next time I visit the ophthalmologist.



MOTOR

We begin with the four tenets of Parkinson's Disease:



Musculoskeletal


  • Micrographia - my writing is nearly illegible now.  Makes writing out cards nearly impossible
  • Dystonia - a disease in itself however Parkinson's and especially Parkinson's meds exacerbate the condition
  • Myoclonus-a quick, involuntary muscle jerk. I get these occasionally and they can happen anywhere in my body.  I've had them most while drifting off to sleep. 
Postural deformities

  • Difficulty turning in bed
  •      difficulty standing from chair/car
  • Dysphagia - difficulty swallowing

  • Sialorrhea -increased saliva production leading to drooling - I've seen this placed in the non-motor group but it seemed a better fit for my list here.
  • Hypomimia (masked facial)



Gait





Vision


Speech
Speech disturbances (hypokinetic dysarthria)
Hypophonia: soft speech.
Monotonic speech: Speech quality tends to be soft, hoarse, and monotonous
Festinating speech: excessively rapid, soft, poorly-intelligible speech.

Urinary
difficulty holding - I hate that sudden 'attack' of I have to go NOW!
difficulty emptying


Other Akathisia: an unpleasant desire to move. restless leg?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The DaTscan or how to get arrested at the dump

The DaTscan .  (click for info) Just in time for my diagnosis, the FDA approved the use of the drug Ioflupane I123.  This highlights the d...